How do you know if you have a hidden water leak?
Home ownership comes with reward and responsibility. Sometimes, a hidden leak from a shower, wet area, plumbing fixture, or leaking pipe on your property can go undetected for months or years and leave you with the devastating consequences.
How do you know if you have a hidden leak?
Frequently Asked Questions
Depending on the location and type of leak you have, there are different telltale signs. If your leak is visible, you’ll typically notice some of the following:
- Mould on walls or ceilings
- Discolouration or stains on gyprock walls, ceilings, tiles, grout lines, timbers, etc.
- Lifting skirtings, tiles, vinyl, or floating timber flooring
- Dark coloured timber floor boards in odd areas
- Moulding or staining carpets
- Musky smell or damp-to-the-touch feel on walls, ceilings, and floors
- Random wet patches on concrete ground
- Moss growing on or moist-looking stains on brick or concrete walls and structures
- Abnormally green areas of grass
- Spinning water meter even when fixtures aren’t in use
- Ground movement or subsistence of terrain
If you suspect you have a leak, it is best to be proactive rather than waiting until a potential problem gets bad. Water can be destructive to a building and can also attract white ants.
If you suspect you have a leak, or if you’re showing signs of a potential leak, it’s best you call a trusted plumber with leak detection experience to inspect for you.
You will need to check your insurance policy to see what you are and are not covered for. Most insurance companies will not cover escaping liquid if it’s caused by a lack of maintenance, failed waterproofing, white ant damage, or illegal/non-compliant workmanship or materials.
This means that if you have a leak from a shower or wet area that goes undetected for too long, you may not be covered for the cost of repairs. These can be in the thousands of the dollars.
There are some simple tests that can be done without the need for specialised equipment however what can be checked is quite limited and may not detect leaks that are hidden to the naked eye.
If you can see any of the signs we mentioned above, it’s best to call a professional to check. It’s much better to be proactive than reactive when it comes to hidden water leaks.
At Find Leak Detection, we’re experts at locating tricky leaks and use industry-leading equipment and techniques to find them. With our equipment, we offer flat free pricing for leak detection and provide detailed information, photos, and reports with all our work.
Our high customer satisfaction rate with our professional leak detection service is a true testament to our attention to detail and dedicate to getting the job done right.
- Trotec moisture detection equipment
- Thermal imaging camera
- Mini inspection camera
- Drain camera inspections
- Line and service locator
- Acoustic leak detection equipment